Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Poem I wrote after my second marathon

I run . . .

to watch the sun peak the mountains int eh morning as
the cold of night burns off in mists,
and the clouds of my uncertainty are lifted from my mind.

to experience the sound of birds in flight,
wind in the grass and leaves, subtle changes of the seasonsand my heart that take
my breath away with their beauty.

to hear my heart pumping,
feel teh pulsating of the blood in my veins,
vibrate with the hum of being alive.

because my girls see what true strengh and power are
while learning about dedication
and why "can't" is a bad word.

because I work all week at being a single mother,
a receptionsit, a cook, a pet trainer, a volunteer, a . . .
and for a short moment I'm just myself.

because I love hearing my girls yell, "That's MY mom!"
when they see me on the marathon course
and hear little feet pounding the pavement behind me.

in memory of my friend Michael
who taught me about becoming empty of bad to be filled up with good
before Leukemia took him away.

in memory of shawn who didn't make it to eleven
because there wasn't a treatment for Childhood Leukemia then,
but would have a fighting chance today.

in memory of who I was when I started my journey,
in celebration of who I am now because I had the courage to start,
and with hope for who I am transforming myself into.

because I am not promised a tomorrow.
As I started my run this morning
the sun began to rise over the mountains
and I realized again that today is all I have.

because Today is beautiful.

No comments: